|Name of the College
|Lakhimpur Medical College
|Also Known As
|Year Of Establishment
|Srimanta Shankardeva University of Health Sciences
|office of the principal cum chief supritendent Hospital roadChowkham sabotiNorth Lakhimpur Assam, Chowkham, Assam 787051
+91 93950 8766
About Lakhimpur Medical College
The name Lakhimpur is believed to be originated from the word Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity. The district is mainly dependent upon agriculture and paddy. Paddy is regarded locally as Lakhimi. The word pur means full. Lakhimpur therefore means full of paddy or the place where paddies are grown abundantly. Besides, the soil of the district is alluvial and fertile for which crops flourish without use of any artificial manure or hard labour. Over and above fish, meat, vegetables, milk were abundant in this district. Others say that the word originated from Lakshmi Devi, the mother of Bhuyan Raja who was the descendent of King Arimatta.
The first Medical School in Assam i.e., Berry White Medical School, was started at Dibrugarh in 1900. In 1947, the first Medical College of Assam was established on the existing structure of Berry White Medical School in Dibrugarh to produce MBBS Doctros. However, with the increase in demand for doctors, the second and third medical colleges were setup in Guwahati and Silchar in 1960 & 1968 respectively. Although these medical colleges have grown significantly, they were not able to meet the growing demand for qualified medical persons throughout the state, creating a big vacuum in the Health Care delivery system.
Lakhimpur Medical College is the 8th medical college of Assam, in the district of Lakhimpur, HQ – North Lakhimpur, Assam. Construction of Lakhimpur Medical College at North Lakhimpur have been approved by the Government of India under the central Sector Scheme “Establishment of New Medical College attached with existing District/Referral Hospital” vide Order No.HLB.254/2019/75 dated 30th May, 2020. Lakhimpur Medical College is affiliated to Srimanta Sankar deva University of Health Sciences.
- NEET 2024 : Students without Biology as core subject can become doctors now
- FMGE December 2023 registration starts; NMC guidelines for students from Ukraine, Philippines
- Experts on NMC reduces NEET 2024 syllabus
- 5 important points to keep in mind for NEET UG 2024 preparation
- Things to take care of in revised NEET UG 2024 syllabus
To push the boundaries of innovation and discovery, renovate the present healthcare system, advance medical education, and create a pool of healthcare providers.
- Be one of the best providers of medical education
- Generate exceptional leaders in health sciences and allied sciences
- Stimulate multidisciplinary scientific biomedical research
- Deliver compassionate, patient-centric clinical care of the highest order possible
Department / Specialities in Lakhimpur Medical College
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Radio Diagnosis
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Emergency Medicine
- Oto Rhino Laryngology
- Respiratory Medicine
Get to know more details about MBBS fee structure in India, check out complete information here
Facilities / Infrastructure in Lakhimpur Medical College
Sports & Games
Affiliated Hospitals for Lakhimpur Medical College
Lakhimpur Medical College and Hospital
8th April, 2017; Amalgamated with North Lakhimpur Civil Hospital on 8th January, 2021.
Lakhimpur Medical College and Hospital is a tertiary level multispecialty hospital and teaching institute.
To push the boundaries of innovation and discovery, renovate healthcare, advance medical education, and create hope for humanity.
- OPD Services
- IPD Services
- Laboratory Services
- Emergency Services
- Blood Bank
- OT Services
- ICU Facility
- Diagnostic Services
- NEET UG Counselling 2023 KNRUHS Releases Telangana MBBS Round 2 Final Seat Allotment, Direct Link To Check
- NEET 2023 Admit Card LIVE: NEET admit card out on neet.nta.nic.in, link here
- NEET UG 2023 Registrations Started – Apply Now
Eligibility & Admission Process for Lakhimpur Medical College
– Pass with minimum 50 % marks in Intermediate (Bi.P.C)
– Must Qualify in NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test)
Admission to the MBBS programme is based on candidates’ performance in NEET. Once the NEET results are declared, then the eligible candidates are called for counselling process.