MBBS in India vs abroad has its own set of pros & cons. Students who are unable to secure a seat at medical colleges in India prefer to pursue MBBS abroad.
Wondering about pursuing MBBS in India vs abroad? Every medical aspirant in India wants to get admission to an Indian medical college, but the seats are very limited. This makes it harder to get admission which is why they choose to study MBBS abroad. Around 84,000 MBBS seats are available in Indian medical colleges and over 14 lakh students appear in the NEET exam every year.
Pursuing MBBS abroad is a better option for medical students due to its affordable fees, government and top medical universities, and global working opportunities. It is easier to get admission without donation as foreign medical universities have sufficient medical seats.
Comparison of MBBS in India vs MBBS Abroad
An MBBS course in India can be completed in 5.5 years which includes 4.5 years of academics and 1 year of internship. MBBS abroad is preferred by medical aspirants who find it difficult to get into medical colleges in India. Shown below is a quick comparison of MBBS in India vs abroad:
|MBBS in India
|Applicant should have completed Class 12 from CBSE/ ISC/ State Board. Mandatory subjects are biology, physics, and chemistry. The candidate should have scored a minimum of 50% in Class 12 PCM. The applicant’s age should not be less than 17 years.
|Applicant should have completed Class 12 from CBSE/ ISC/ State Board. Mandatory subjects are biology, physics, and chemistry. The candidate should have scored a minimum of 50% in Class 12 PCM. In addition, a minimum of 50% is required in English. The applicant’s age should not be less than 17 years and the maximum age should not exceed 25 years.
|5.5 years (4.5 years academics+1 year internship)
|5/5.5/6 years (including internship) based on country chosen
|Government College: INR 11,000- INR 7.5 lakhs (for the complete course). Private College: INR 20 lakhs- INR 80 lakhs (for the complete course)
|INR 25 lakhs- INR 80 lakhs (for the complete course)
Benefits of Studying MBBS in India vs Abroad
Kyrgyzstan, Central America, Georgia, and the Kazakhstan are some of the popular destinations for Indian students to pursue an MBBS course. Listed below are some of the significant benefits of studying MBBS in India vs abroad:
- Affordable Fees: MBBS in India costs around INR 40 to INR 50 lakh at private medical colleges. In comparison, the MBBS fee in developed countries like Ukraine is between INR 14 to INR 25 lakhs. Certain medical universities abroad have fees lower than that of Indian medical colleges, if not equal for example Kyrgyz State Medical Academy, East European University, Bridgetown International University etc.
- Practical Learning: Medical colleges abroad are focussed on providing students with a practical learning experience. Students also have an opportunity to learn from professional doctors and undertake training from affiliated hospitals
- World-class Infrastructure: Not all colleges in India have their own hospitals to offer practical training to students. On pursuing MBBS abroad, applicants get training in the university hospital under experienced medical professionals
- Top-ranking Medical Colleges: Most Indian medical colleges have a low ranking in the international ranking list. On the other hand, 30 Russian medical universities are listed in the top 100 medical universities in the world, which can be another benefit of pursuing an MBBS abroad as compared to India
- NMC-Approved Degree: The medical degree received from foreign medical universities is approved by the Medical Council of India. MBBS graduates can get a medical licence and practice in India after clearing the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE)
Duration of MBBS in India vs Abroad
The duration of an MBBS degree varies in different countries. Students can complete their MBBS studies in just 5.5 years in India which includes the training or internship duration of 12 months. On the other hand, an MBBS degree in countries like Russia, China, and Ukraine is of 6 years duration including internships with experienced professionals.
Eligibility Criteria For MBBS in India vs Abroad
The eligibility criteria for MBBS abroad varies based on the country chosen. However, there are a few standard criteria followed by all countries. On the other hand, most MBBS universities in India have the same entry requirements. More details about the eligibility criteria for MBBS in India vs abroad can be found below:
|MBBS in India
|The applicants should be at least 17 years of age and should be an Indian citizen. He/ she should have passed high school with a 50%- 60% aggregate score in core subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English. The students should also have passed a medical examination and NEET exam
|The candidate should have completed high school and also cleared an English language proficiency test. He/she should have passed NEET exams or other accepted exams such as MCAT, entrance examination, etc based on the country. Scored 50% or 80% aggregate marks in Biology, Chemistry, Physics. The candidate should be a minimum of 17 years and should not be more than 25 years of age. The applicant is required to have relevant work experience, LOR, CV, etc
Entrance Exam Required For MBBS in India vs Abroad
An entrance exam is required for admission to any medical college in India or abroad. Acceptance to top universities is determined based on these entrance exam scores. Find below the entrance exams accepted for MBBS in India vs abroad:
Entrance Exam for MBBS in India
- All Indian medical colleges/ universities accept NEET as their core entrance exam
Entrance Exam for MBBS Abroad
- Almost all the abroad colleges/universities accept the NEET exam for MBBS admissions
Cost of Studying MBBS in India vs MBBS in Abroad
The average cost of an MBBS degree in India in government medical colleges is around INR 10,000 per annum. The minimum fee structure in private medical colleges in India is around INR 4,00,000. Shown below is an overview of the cost of studying MBBS in India vs abroad:
|MBBS in India
|Deemed Medical Universities: INR 2,11,000 to INR 22,50,000 per annum. Government Medical College: INR 15,000 to INR 89,500 per annum.
|It will be approximately INR 25L to 80L based on the country and college / university chosen.
Admission Process for MBBS in India vs Abroad
The admission process for MBBS in both India and abroad is quite similar. Students meeting all the eligibility criteria can apply for the course and are selected based on the scores required for admission. Detailed comparison of the admissions process for MBBS in India vs abroad are as follows:
|MBBS in India
|Candidates should firstly apply for the entrance exam. Send the required scores along with the MBBS university application. If confirmed, selection letters will be sent. The candidate should then undergo a medical examination. If fit, one should pay the fees immediately
|The candidate should qualify NEET exam and choose which MBBS university to apply for. Choose the specialization. The student should then submit all the required documents such as proof of application fee payment, SOP, CV, ELP scores, etc. Attend any interview (if scheduled). Apply for a scholarship to cover tuition fees/ expenses. Once the seat is confirmed, the candidate can secure the same by paying a deposit. Apply for a visa/ residence permit to be able to study abroad.
Top Colleges For MBBS in India vs Abroad
MBBS colleges are ranked based on the value of education provided and the recognition it has gained over the years in the field. Popular colleges for MBBS in India vs abroad are mentioned below:
Top MBBS Colleges in India
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- Madras Medical College, Chennai
- St.John’s Medical College, Bangalore
- Medical College, Kolkata
- Institute of Medical Science BHU, Varanasi
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
Top MBBS Colleges Abroad
Join our Telegram Channel for more updates, news articles, preparation strategies, and more.
Read all the latest news articles HERE.